Friday, April 23, 2010

to be weak is to admit defeat

thursday morning
4/22/2010
9:47pm

current weight: 111.8

i gained 1/10 of a pound [haha]

alright, so i didn't quite make my one month mark SO WHAT?

do i give up?

psh.

no.

i keep going because that's what winners do.

---

is it normal to overly obsess over every single item that enters your mouth? is it unusual to survey all food products within seconds and immediately feel guilty beyond redemption over consuming something as simple as a piece of bread?

hi, my name is lisa and i have a minor eating disorder.

i predict the people reading this post may find me overly dramatic for stating such a nonsensical claim but i'm dead serious.  food isn't just a form of nourishment to me; it is what drives my very being yet on the other hand, it physically torments me causing me emotional distress. some may think i'm overreacting but it's a mental state of pain most women in america can easily relate to.

i wasn't always the size that i am right now. i used to be morbidly overweight by asian standards.  what exactly does that mean? it means i was leaning heavily towards double digits and that's practically unheard of in the asian culture, especially the chinese.

don't believe me?

yep, that's me. to the right. oh god, i know.


that's my best friend loann, and yeah, she's pretty hot and i was, pretty not.



all my girlfriends at the time were size 2's [like the one below] while i was pushing 9/10

and this wasn't even at my heaviest


138 [gasp!] was my all-time biggest, that's when i knew something needed to change.

---

you know what's really funny?

i was always pretty tiny and then one day, i just blew up. 


me [second to the right] at 16


me [far left] in my junior year in high school


me [bottom far left] + my hs girlfriends



so what the hell happened to spark this horrific 38 pound weight gain?

i'll tell you what happened:

i got a highschool boyfriend
stopped smoking
began eating

mon - fri
mcdonalds savory bacon, egg + cheese biscuit 
fried + crispy hash browns loaded with sweet ketchup 
carb-loaded heavy starches for dinner
every single night

i stopped hanging out with friends
i hung out with the bf constantly
i ate what he ate
bowl for bowl
pound for pound

i went from a size 0/2 to 7/8 in a matter of a year
38 pounds
i was a f*ckin cow

my wavering self esteem hit rock bottom
i felt disgusted with myself
my image
everything for me was tainted

i stood amidst my size 0 friends
laughing + pretending everything was fine
when deep down inside
the jealousy ate through me

i hated myself

then one day
i woke up and i decided
enough was enough
i'm going to lose this fat i never had

at age 23
i began the south beach diet
i was undeviatingly motivated
i gave up everything i lived for
fulfilling white rice
starchy pasta
all types of bread
fatty cuts of meat
sugar
fruits
everything

my 3 meals a day consisted of bland nothing
boiled
grilled
steamed
blanched
lean protein + various veggies sans oil + salt

one week passed, then 2
the weight magically dissipated
the jeans that once fit could easily be pulled off without loosening any buttons

15 pounds lost in 1 month

size 29
size 28
size 27

all without the mention of working out or one foot stepping into the gym

i was exhilarated
i could finally blend in with my friends
i was no longer the "fat" girl

because of my instantaneous success
instant gratification was never far from my mind 
so i indulged

1 year later, the fat crept back
i became afraid
very afraid
so i made another life changing decision
i began working out

working out has changed my life
i've been for the past 1.5 years and it makes me happier than anything else in the world
but there are days when i feel like giving up
there are times when i just want to stop
but i keep going
never do i miss the gym
i make it my priority
it keeps me sane

but no matter how hard i try
i can never get back to where i was
am i dying to be 100 pounds again?
not really
i just want to be feel content
but the feeling is still out of reach so i keep going

there's nothing wrong with aiming for perfection but when will it ever end?
it's a vicious cycle that we immerse ourselves in
but we can change it
but we don't

"french women don't get fat" by mirielle guiliano 
is changing my life

why refrain from eating what i love?
isn't life about enjoying every moment and savoring every bite?

what's wrong with america?
where the average size woman is 14
where the plates are bigger than texas
and everything can be super sized
no wonder we are morbidly obese

there is no one to blame but ourselves

america
put down that fork
stop ordering from the drive thru menu
cook, goddamnit
haven't our ancestors taught us nothing?
fill your plates with fresh produce
from every color ranging from purple to green, to yellow and red
stop with the processed foods
the ho-hos and the packaged chips
mindless eating leads to idiotic choices
keep that up and you are what you eat

my sudden life changing decisions has impacted my world tremendously
not to mention, my wardrobe
suddenly i was able to wear what i wanted
and not feel like a foolish fat cow

and the weight continued to drop

size 27
size 26
size 25 [on a good day]

i couldn't believe it myself

vegas 
march 2009


vegas
march 2009


circa
april 2009


vessel
june 09


bubble lounge
july 09


vegas
sept 09


my birthday
medjools
nov 09


 but even with the minor successes
i'm still dissatisfied
i still can't bring myself to eat what i want
food is good
yet it is evil
how can this be?

one must find a fine balance 
and i will make it my mission to be at peace 
once again










3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog because I can completely relate to your story. I weighed less than 100 lbs until my senior year of HS when I started having problems with alcohol and over-eating. I am currently struggling to get down to 100 lbs and maintain while also maintaining my sanity. But I think about food every day, it controls my entire life, so like I said I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are gorgeous! Even when you were "at your heaviest" I think you looked great!!!! I am sooo jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. N - it's awesome to know there are others out there just like me. Not "awesome" because there should be, but great to know I'm not alone. I will follow your blog and I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

    Jess - thank you so much, you are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete